The First Baptist Church
The Meeting House, built in 1774 to 1775, was the largest building project in New England at that time. The building, 80 by 80 feet, seated 1,200 people, equal to one third of Providence's population then. The structure was dedicated in May 1775 and the 185 foot steeple was added shortly thereafter. This was the first Baptist meetinghouse in New England to have a steeple. Today the Meeting House, a national historic landmark building, is regarded as one of the "must see" places in Providence for anyone interested in American architecture.

This early morning shot shows the current nature of the neighborhood where this lovely piece of architecture stands. It is surrounded by buildings from about every period of American history.
To the Providence Page
Interior

Full Screen This is a large file, 1.5mb.